As the Internet of Things (IoT) continues to develop and expand throughout the world; one company that could be poised to make a splash in the industry is PTC Inc (NASDAQ: PTC). PTC delivers technology-enabled solutions that help leading manufacturers change the way they operate, create and service products for a competitive advantage that can be sustained. Over the years PTC has continued to expand its IoT portfolio, most notably through the acquisition of Axeda Corporation on August 12, 2014 and the $112 million acquisition of ThingWorx on December 30, 2013.
There are several products within PTC’s portfolio, but the most significant in regards to IoT are ThingWorx and PTC Axeda. ThingWorx and PTC Axeda’s capabilities are combined and the end result is being marketed by PTC as the world’s first complete IoT Platform. This platform delivers connectivity, device cloud, big data analytics, remote service applications, as well as business logic. This combination could prove to be a very disruptive form of technology that would potentially allow companies transform the value chain, connect smart things securely, and create applications in a quick fashion.
Marketed as the first IoT platform designed to both build and run the applications of the connected world. A few of the benefits of ThingWorx are that it lowers the risk, cost and time that is typically needed in order to create innovative applications for smart, connected devices. ThingWorx allows its IoT Platform users to:
- Deploy based on their preferences.
- Deploy 10x faster with model-based development.
- Grow and improve the application over time.
- Modern and complete platform.
- People, Systems, and Machines all work together.
Axeda IoT Cloud Service (also referred to the Machine Cloud)
Machine Cloud enables its users to use its cloud-based software to manage connected devices, while also implementing innovative IoT applications.
Benefits of Machine Cloud
- Secure and scalable IoT application development platform.
- Can be connected over both wired and wireless networks.
- Reduce the costs of IoT implementation solutions.
- Axeda Connect – IoT Connectivity Middleware
- Cloud-based communication software that allows users to connect devices and machines to the cloud.
- Processes, transforms, organizes and stores sensor and machine data.
- Axeda Build – IoT Application Enablement Platform
- Cloud-based tools are used to make development of applications easier and allow users to quickly and economically implement IoT applications.
- Axeda Manage – Connected Machine Management Applications
- Cloud-based web applications that enable users to manage, monitor, service and control wireless and wired devices remotely.